Monday, May 28, 2012

Red, White, & Blue


Happy Memorial Day! This holiday is wonderful because of what it represents. I am proud to say that both of my grandfathers and my Dad served in the armed forces but fortunately all were blessed because they were not asked to make the ultimate sacrifice that some have. I wanted to give my home a patriotic feel as we celebrated today so the kids and I planned a cookout that had lots of red, white, and blue!



We invited Papa and Ju-Ju (my parents,) and I enlisted Craig to grill. I copied my tablescape ideas from another blog and I loved how it turned out. Memorial Day is the perfect time to deck your house out in patriotic decor  which can stay put through the 4th of July to help teach your kids the history behind these holidays!



As always, I made some sweets. I found some super yummy red, white, and blue kettle corn. As we walked the grocery aisles today I also spotted cherries for the first time this season! They are one of my favorites. To me they says summer and Memorial Day kind of kicks off the summer season in my mind.



Homeade, sparkling stawberry lemonade (with blueberries to make it festive!) One of my favorites!



I ordered some paper straws off of Etsy. Aren't they cute? You can find them in almost any color.


And for dinner... When it comes to a burger, I say, if you're going to do it, do it right! I can't get enough toppings. Lettuce, tomato, pepper-jack cheese, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, pickles, bacon, and all of the standard condiments. It should make a mess. 


 

Although it was a very hot day (!) we spent some time out on the deck enjoying the summer temperatures in this, the end of May.

  

Even Sadie was looking festive today. (And check out that summer haircut!)



As the sun went down I felt myself staring out at the deck, dreaming of many more summer days filled with sunshine and cookouts, holiday festivities, and fireworks. I love summer and I'm so glad it is just around the corner!



One last shot...I took that material that you saw on my table and made a festive table runner. Very simple no-sew project! I'll share how to do this soon. Happy Memorial Day to all!


1 comment:

  1. Between these and the pink lemonade photos, you could work for Southern Living. I know someone who wrote for their state section;)
    Libbie Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete