Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Life is Messy...(and sometimes sticky!)

About a month ago I was on the phone with my sister when Savannah came dashing into the kitchen, threw open my cabinet door, grabbed the maple syrup, and ran back toward her bedroom. I stood there in shock for a second (what makes her THINK of these things??) before saying "Meg, I gotta go!" Fortunately that day I prevented a near-disaster. My mistake was that after that day I did not relocate the maple syrup... Today I was not as fortunate and this is how I found it.


It was a MESS to clean up. Also, not a good day to realize I am out of paper towels... Savannah was pretty excited about "helping me" clean it up. Here she is enjoying the fruits of her labor.


I don't have to tell you this, but life is messy. Life with KIDS is especially messy. And this particular event threw my schedule off by an entire hour today! I am learning every day how to process these disasters. Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I yell. Sometimes I have to laugh. My kids aren't perfect, but neither am I. So we learn together. The maple syrup is now cleaned up (yes and it has also found its home in a new cabinet), Savannah is forgiven, and this mom has recovered from her panic. Still, I can't deny that nap time was quite welcome today. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you said "sometimes I yell..." I always feel like the worst mom ever if I lose my temper and yell. And I have always been envious of how mild mannered you are with your kids, I always see you speak so softly with them and then I think "I need to be more like that." I feel a little better now ;) (although I'm sure your 'yelling' and my 'yelling' are two different things...) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Kristen. I struggle with that for sure! I think its sad that a lot of us moms probably struggle with these same things, but we want to seem perfect so we don't admit it. I almost didn't put that line in, but its just true. I'm far from mild some days. But as you can see my kids aren't exactly mild either...! :p

    ReplyDelete