Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Papaw


As I write this post, my Papaw - Charlie Taylor - is walking streets of gold. The same streets that he told me about when I was so young. He used a wordless book...he carried one everywhere he went. Tonight, after a long struggle, Jesus finally called my Papaw home. I am relieved...and I am mourning my loss. If you know our family, you know how tight knit we are...and if you don't then I only wish you could have been there for one of our cookouts, bonfires, camping trips, or holiday extravaganzas because it was something truly special. I know that it always will be, but I also know that it won't be the same. It never could be for me.

One of the few fortunate things about a slow death is that you have lots of time for making memories and saying things that should be said. I am so thankful for the moments we shared. Even this past weekend I was able to make one last trip to WV to see him. While there, I sat on the edge of my Papaw's bed and held his tiny, frail hand. We were able to talk, and even laugh. I will forever cherish my memories of him. The following is something I wrote for my Papaw before he passed away:


My Favorite memories of my Papaw...

Walks to the spring with Lady and Waddles.
Rides on the tote-goat.
Bedtime stories about Old Blue.
How he played “Charlie horse” with us...I thought that was really how the song went!
How he rarely calls me Leah. It is Le-le or Turkey-Lips-Totten (I prefer Le-le!)
Trips to visit those in the nursing home...seeing his compassion.
How he endured hardship to serve his country.
How proud he is to be an American.
Camping trips and backyard bonfires.
Papaw specials! Chocolate chips on the bottom of an ice cream cone? Genius!
How he always had a wordless book in his pocket and the gospel on his tongue.
Hearing him sing or whistle around the house.
Listening to old acapella music in his car.
How he wasn’t afraid to live by faith.
How he encouraged me to sing, and gave me so many opportunities to do so.
Watching him as he watched his family when we were all together...
Watching him with my own children and seeing how much they love him.
Hearing him pray...which I often have.
How much he loves Jesus and longs to walk with him on those golden streets...

These are the memories that I will be blessed with all of my life. These are the memories that I will share with my children, and my grandhilden. Thank you, Papaw, for these and so many more...
Love you Always,
Le-Le

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, Leah. This is a beautiful tribute to your Papaw! I am so thankful he is walking those streets of gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, what a precious way to honor your Papaw. I will be praying for you and your family - grieving the loss of someone you love is never easy. Praise God that you were blessed with your Papaw's testimony and the promise of his eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss your blogging!! I hope you are doing okay with the passing of your Papaw. You will be in my prayers, and I hope you guys are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete