Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I See The Moon...(Happy Birthday, Landon Cade)


Five years ago today my life was forever changed. On January 24, 2007 I became mom to Landon Cade Price, who taught me from the very beginning that all of my "plans" couldn't change the truth - that kids don't  always go by the plan! Landon was born 7 weeks before he was due, catching me by complete surprise. He weighed only 4 lbs and 8 oz. I will never forget the moment after he was born as they were cleaning him up and getting him oxygen when I realized I wouldn't get to hold him. This wasn't the way that I pictured it, but they rolled him over beside me and let me look at him...


When we were on our way to the hospital I was actually quite positive that my labor would stop so I didn't pack a bag and I did not even grab my camera. It is my biggest regret to this day. Landon showed up just 4 hours after we arrived in the ER. These pictures were taken during his stay in the NICU.


While he was in the NICU, I practically lived there. I stayed all day every day as much as I possibly could. I bathed him, fed him his tiny bottles, and I sang to him... Leaving him in the hospital was one of the hardest things I had ever done. I would lay awake at night thinking of how he had spent months listening to the sound of my voice and I wondered if he missed it. I decided I would sing one song to him every time I was at the hospital so he would know that I was there. A song that I knew - although I'm not even quite sure where I learned it - came to mind because it talked about longing to be with someone you loved who is far from you.


Despite the nurses telling me that Landon would have to stay until close to his due date, Landon was strong and he was discharged after only eleven days! I was thrilled to take him home, and to this day I still sing his lullaby to him. He knows all of the words and often sings along...

I see the moon and the moon sees me,
Down shines the light through the old oak tree,
Please let the light that shines on me,
shine on the one I love.
Over the mountain, over the sea,
Back where my heart is longing to be,
Please let the light that shines on me,
Shine on the one I love.


Landon, I love you. Thank you for making my world shine so brightly. 


1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful, Leah! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your life with others.

    ReplyDelete