Friday, January 6, 2012

Snack of the Day - Frozen Dipped Fruit


As I mentioned in my resolutions post, I want to add more fruits and veggies into my diet. I have been looking online for a few fun ways to do this. I found a couple of ways to dress up frozen fruit and make them a real treat. The first is frozen chocolate covered banana bites! I chopped up a banana and dipped it in a melted chocolate mixture.


I used a cup of chocolate chips, a tablespoon of shortening (this helps your chocolate to set,) and a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. Yum! Melt in the microwave for one minute, stir, and repeat at 20 second increments as needed until smooth. (Usually 1 minute 20 seconds is enough for just a cup.)  With this mixture you will have enough for about 2 bananas. I dipped the banana and then sprinkled with coconut. (The coconut and peanut butter could also be omitted if you're counting calories!) Place on wax paper and freeze for a few hours.


These are SO yummy and when I'm craving a bite of something sweet they're convenient. In the month of December it seemed I was constantly dipping things that consisted of powdered sugar and butter, or Oreos and cream cheese. Its nice to know that the inside of this is something that's better for me. I put the bites in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer to snack on whenever that sweet craving hits me.


I also "dipped" some cut strawberries in vanilla Greek yogurt and froze them! I saw this idea on another blog but the dipping didn't really work for me since yogurt is thick. I placed the strawberries in a container, covered them with a spoonful of yogurt, and then froze the strawberries in the container. They are great and my kids love them too! I think you'll find these are a refreshing change from sugar cookies and peanut butter balls that will keep you from going into withdraw. Happy Snacking!


No comments:

Post a Comment