Saturday, July 23, 2011

Deck Makeover


Let me share with you one of my favorite summer escapes: Pouring myself a tall glass of tea or lemonade, grabbing my latest issue of Coastal Living, and sitting in the sunshine on my deck. Most days this is how I spend my "lunch break." It's not the beach, but I'll take it! Because I like to spend so much time on my deck, I want it to feel like another room of my house...I want it to be cozy, warm, and inviting. I really want it to look like a deck right out of one of the beach houses in Coastal Living! However, I am on a little bit of a budget and I don't live on the beach...still, back at the start of summer I took some inspiration from this deck makeover issue and I have been loving my "new" deck. First, a before photo:


After winter and a stormy spring I started out with a few problems. First of all, my deck was dirty. Easy enough to fix. Second...because I had a glass table and we experienced a very windy spring, I no longer had a table! The wind picked my umbrella up one day and shattered my table! And third, it just looked blah and boring. I got to work (I wasn't able to do everything all at once, but picking up little things here and there it took me about a month to complete.) Here is the after photo:


Cleaning the deck was step one. A good sweeping and then scrubbing was easily completed. I got my table (wrought iron - no more glass for me!) at Target when all of they're outdoor furniture was on sale. This was obviously my largest purchase but the most necessary. The throw pillows also came from Target. Love the bright green! It just says summer to me.


The third thing I did was find some inexpensive accessories like plastic place-mats for a splash of color and a solar lantern. I also placed a couple of the inexpensive solar lights in my large potted plants! These add the perfect glow to the deck at night. I found some colorful glass bottles and jars which I think are perfect (Hobby Lobby - gotta love it!) The small crate also came from Hobby Lobby and altogether with the bottles cost me about $10! I found the place-mats at Walmart for around $1.50. I love love how the color just pops!


The last thing I did was pot my plants. My absolute favorite is my little palm tree! It is loving this hot and humid weather (...My other plants are not loving it quite so much.)



I really enjoyed sprucing up this favorite place of mine and when I was done I just felt like I was a bit closer to my "coastal" deck. I can almost hear the ocean...hey, a girl can dream, right?

3 comments:

  1. You did a great makeover! Yes, it feels like summer in your beach-themed deck! Who did the cleaning part? There was no hint of any stain or mold in your deck. Definitely a job well done! Never forget to keep your deck clean, stain-free to avoid acquiring any unnecessary damage.

    -Elias Boyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless! What else can I say? You certainly did a great job with your deck makeover! :) By the way, have you thought about replacing your wood railings with metal railings? It's not that expensive, since it’s coated with aluminum. This should give your deck a fresher look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give our deck regular makeovers, but I make sure first that it is well and properly cleaned before doing so. Not letting molds and other dirt accumulate is a good preventive method. Anyway, do everything the proper way to give your deck countless makeovers.

    ReplyDelete