Friday, July 8, 2011

Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes!


Cupcakes anyone? I am a cupcake fanatic! These red-white-and-blue beauties were so delicious and perfect for berry season. I am sorry that I didn't get them posted before the 4th of July, but I really think you'll enjoy them anyway! Cake, berries, white chocolate, and frosting...what's not to enjoy? I had a little bit of trouble with the frosting. I had to thicken it a bit. For a time-saver you could just use store-bought frosting, but I really did enjoy the taste of this one. Here are the ingredients:

1 package white cake mix
1 cup miniature white chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup rasberry or strawberry pie filling - your choice
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups confectioners sugar
Fresh raspberries and/or blueberries and decorative sprinkles/sugars

Prepare cake batter according to package directions for cupcakes (keep in mind this will require a couple more ingredients...oil and eggs.) Stir 1 cup mini white chocolate chips into batter. Fill cupcake cups 2/3 full and drop spoonful of pie filling into the center of each.


Cut through the batter with a knife to swirl like this:


Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.


In a large bowl beat shortening until fluffy. Add the milk, vanilla, and salt. Gradually add confectioners sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with fruit and sprinkles.


I hope that you will enjoy these as much as I did!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment