Friday, November 11, 2011

Creamy Chicken Noodle


One of the best things about colder weather is the foods that it inspires. Soup, for example. Although I eat soup all year, it seems to taste much better on a cold day. It just hits the spot. This soup has become one of my favorite comfort foods. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law (thanks, Bekah!) I have tweaked it very slightly. I am not a huge fan of chicken noodle soup because I don't care for the broth. But this creamy version of chicken noodle is delicious. You'll need the following ingredients:

2 Chicken breasts - cooked then diced
*(OR used pre-cooked chicken to simplify! I use either the frozen diced chicken breast or I buy a rotisserie chicken and pull the chicken off the bone which really punches up the flavor!)
2 Cans cream of chicken soup
2 Cans cream of celery soup
Chicken broth (this recipe calls for up to 10 cups but I use a little less because I add milk at the end.)
2 and 1/2 cups raw egg noodles
1 Can sliced carrots (or chop fresh carrots if you have them)
Celery chopped - to taste (this was own addition because I love the crunch!)
1 lb Mexican Velveeta cheese cubed
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tbs pepper
Milk (to thin if needed)


Start out by chopping your celery. Isn't it pretty? If someone brought me a bunch of celery with a ribbon on it I think I would like it as much as flowers. I use the tops of the celery too - there is a lot of flavor, not to mention nutrients, in that leafy green part. Then slice your Velveeta in small cubes so that it will melt easily. If you boil your chicken you can retain the broth from the chicken and add boxed broth to supplement. Otherwise, start with you boxed chicken broth and add the raw egg noodles. Once your noodles have cooked (About ten minutes) add all other ingredients and heat until cheese is melted and celery is cooked. (Remember to stir it often to keep it from scorching.) If the soup is thicker than you like you can add more broth of some milk to make it extra creamy.


There you have it! A yummy soup that is so filling and will feed a small army. (I usually freeze the leftovers because it makes so much.) Add some crusty bread and you've got yourself a perfect meal on a chilly evening. Leave a comment and let me know if you try this recipe! I hope all of my readers have a soup-er weekend. (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)


No comments:

Post a Comment