Thursday, November 3, 2011

Rocky Top


Neyland Stadium. One of Knoxville's iconic fixtures. To say that big orange pride is intense in here in Knoxville would be an understatement. Savannah, my two-year-old daughter, already carries her pom-pom around the house singing Rocky Top! I love to go to UT football games. Even those who are not avid fans get caught up in the energy and excitement. This past weekend Craig and I made our way downtown to Neyland Stadium to see the Vols play the University of South Carolina Gamecocks.



I (naturally) had my camera in hand. It was a night game and the sun was just disappearing when we arrived. Is it silly to say that the stadium looked almost magical? I don't think so.



Pre-game, this random USC fan stopped and asked me to take a picture of he and Craig. Friendly foes.





There are a lot of things that make Tennessee football what it is...tradition runs deep. I'm the kind of girl who loves tradition so it was easy for me to fall in love with this team and these games. There is the tradition of running through the "T." As the music swells and the crowd roars its easy to get completely caught up in the thrill of it all. This moment is one of my favorites before the game even begins.



You have to get some good football food. Petros - an east TN favorite - is my game snack of choice.


There are the fans. Some more excitable than others. All cheering their team on in their own unique way. All praying for victory. 






I personally always love the Pride of the Southland Band. The circle drill is a crowd favorite. 


And of course, the reason why all of this takes place...the football. Sometimes it isn't pretty. We lost this particular game and with quarterback injuries and switches it doesn't look too bright for the Volunteers this season. Still, you'll find Neyland stadium full of fans at every home game saying "Its great to be a Tennessee Vol!"


Fans like me who are fans not because we win or lose, but because its Knoxville, Tennessee tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment