Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Home for Christmas - Crafty Centerpiece


I finally got to my Christmas centerpiece yesterday (better late than never!) As I mentioned in an earlier post, last year I had a beautiful bowl of ornaments and pine...however I spent time every day sweeping up glass from broken ornaments thanks to my two little ones who love to look and touch. This year I told myself that I needed to find something more kid friendly. This idea came from Pinterest and it is extremely simple. I started with styrofoam cones which I found at the Dollar Tree and Hobby Lobby (Dollar Tree only had one size.)  I also purchased yarn for $1 and a small package of buttons. The cranberries are from the picks that I use in my tree.  I also started with a helper, although, he lost interest after the first tree...


You will also need some small pins. To start your tree simply pin the yarn to the base of the tree. You will need to repeat this around the entire bottom row using about four pins.


Continue to wrap your yarn around the cone in tight rows. You won't need to pin the yarn again until you get to the very top.


This project was so easy and did not take a lot of time. Beware though, the styrofoam is messy! Once I wrapped the yarn around the entire tree, I began to decorate it. The berries I trimmed with scissors leaving just enough of a stem to stick right into the styrofoam tree, and the buttons I pinned on.  A small star would have made a cute topper, but I just used more berries. I made three trees in all and it probably only took about 30 minutes.


So there you have it! As promised, a very easy craft for Christmas that would look cute on a mantel, as a centerpiece, or just about anywhere. I had one extra cone so I may make a pink one for Savannah's room! Use your imagination with your decorations and yarn selection and you could come up with several unique looks.



No comments:

Post a Comment