Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Seagrove

  

Welcome to Seagrove, North Carolina and the Seagrove Stoneware Inn Bed and Breakfast. With over 90 area potters, Seagrove is considered the handmade pottery capital of the United States. This quaint town was the destination for the First Annual Taylor Girls Trip. One of my favorite things about my family is that we love tradition - both keeping time-honored traditions and beginning new ones. This fall trip was the first but we hope for many to come.



I took so many photos on this trip and it was painstaking for me too narrow them down. In order to include as many as possible I will be sharing several collages. We were able to do so many fun things and I wish I could share it all. One of the really fun things about this trip was that it fell on Meg's and my birthday. My cousin, Elizabeth, has a birthday just ten days after us, so it was fun to celebrate all weekend together! On Thursday evening after arriving we had a birthday party - complete with party hats, balloons, and deorations (thanks Mom!) We also devoured my cupcakes.


On Friday morning the first thing we did was make our own pottery! This experience was a highlight for me. After careful instruction from master potter, David Fernandez, we sat at the wheel and each made our own bowl. Just like us, each one turned out unique.













It was such a fun experience. I wish I could post a picture of my finished product but we had to leave them there to be fired and glazed and will receive them later. I can't wait to see how mine turns out.



After making out pottery we went shopping...for, what else, pottery. We visited several area potters shops but didn't even come close to seeing them all. Each potter had a unique style, colors, and selection.




On Saturday morning we had a big breakfast and following that we finished our pottery by smoothing it and personalizing it with our signature. I added my initials as well as a small "30" to remember this beginning of my 30th year.








Once our pieces were complete we headed to Pinehurst, NC. Pinehurst is a beautiful town and this day was the Holly Arts and Crafts Festival. We saw several unique handmade items but my favorite was these unique and colorful hummingbird feeders. They were gorgeous in the sunshine!





Following the festival we headed to the Olive Garden for dinner. I treated myself to a Berry Aqua Fresca and dessert since it was my birthday lunch. (Of course we were serenaded by the servers.)




Sunday brought time to say goodbyes. It is always hard to go our separate ways, but I'm reminded that I am extremely blessed to share such a tight bond with my family and for that I am so grateful.






So we headed back to Eastern NC, Tennessee, and West Virginia taking with us memories...oh and lots and lots of pottery. Can't wait to see where next year takes us.


4 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job !!!! Love this !! Thanks so much for capturing a great trip. (although you didn't mention the laughing until we almost..... ha ha ) Love Ya Bunches !!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly "priceless". . . The time spent, the hearts poured out, the giggles & laughter, the tears, the games (Never Have I Ever..), the food, the birthdays, it was all just priceless!!! And the pics are precious. I LOVE the way Violet is looking at Nana in the one pic. Let's start planning for next year!!!! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what wonderful pictures. This place looks amazing. I love the group picture of you all that is in color in front of the double doors. You all are so pretty and look like your mom. She is such a special person. I hope she is doing well. Makes me a little weepy to see you all and think of my mom. Jessica had better watch out, you are going to give her a run for
    her money. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics!! Looks like a great time and an awesome place to start a new tradition!

    ReplyDelete