Sunday, April 22, 2012

Let the Journey Begin


I have always believed that you should be careful when you use the words "always" and "never." Though I believe this, I am guilty of using them carelessly at times. Over the span of my life I have had the privilege to travel out of the US on three separate missions trips to Mexico, Portugal, and The Dominican Republic. All three trips taught me amazing things. However, I was sick on the last two and I developed quite a bit of anxiety about leaving the country ever again. I told people that it wasn't for me... I would never travel out of the country again and I would be perfectly content. Then God. Oh, how He loves to challenge us and stretch us. A few days ago a friend of mine sent me a text saying that she would like me to consider traveling with her family to Haiti. I immediately thought no, but said I would pray about it. I would be so far away from my family, I could get sick again, I would have to raise a lot of money, and my summer is already so full. All of the reasons not to go were on the tip of my tongue. The funny thing is, I couldn't shake the thought. I couldn't get it out of my head. Soon, it wasn't just in my head, but it was taking root in my heart. So, with a very nervous feeling in my stomach but complete peace about my decision, I am stepping out on faith and July 21 through 29 of this summer I will be taking a journey to Haiti.


During the trip I will be staying at this orphanage in the village of Camatin and ministering to the girls who live here. Preston Cunningham, who is organizing this trip, travels here often to serve. Not only that, but he and his family are adopting two girls from Haiti. They have been in the process for almost two years. After a long uphill battle to bring the girls to the US this trip could finally be that victorious homecoming for these girls! Please pray intently that this will happen. From what I understand there have been many bumps in the road and the process is nearing completion but has yet to be finalized.


For those little girls that will remain in Camatin we will love on them, tell that about Jesus' love for them, and help to make their home at the orphanage a better place in whatever way needed. We will also be building a house for the woman in the picture below. She is the grandmother of one of the girls being adopted by the Cunninghams. In addition we will distribute food to those in need, serve in the local church, and hike to nearby villages to help meet needs as pointed out to us by the church leaders.


Most of you know that God has really blessed my photography business. This trip will be an awesome opportunity give back and to use that part of my life to glorify God and draw peoples eyes to a need that they might not see otherwise. And, oh my goodness, I cannot wait to share it all with you right here on this blog! I will also hope to be right there with my camera if Redjina and Jesula finally get to step off of that plane on to US soil to be able to capture the joy that their family experiences and preserve that amazing moment for them! I want to be a blessing to them in that way because they have given so much over the past two years to show the love of Jesus to these girls and the other orphans and people there in Camatin.


I will be purchasing my plane tickets this week and I ask that you would pray for me as I raise my support. If any of you are interested in supporting me financially I would be so grateful! Please send me a private message via Facebook or to leahnicolephoto@yahoo.com and I will send you a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your gift. I will also need a prayer team! Travel to this part of the world does not come without risk so I covet your prayers for health and safety, but even more importantly I want to be the hands and feet of Jesus while I'm there. If you are interested in praying for me while I am on this trip and receiving updates and specific prayer requests between now and then please message me as well!  Even though there are butterflies in my stomach, I am already grateful for this chance to be a part of something much bigger than myself. Never say never... Let the journey begin.

*All photos are property of Preston Cunningham and are used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment