Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cookies and Cream


So, I have finally decided that it is time to make cupcakes their own label. I realize that I'm becoming a bit obsessed with them and though you will still find them under "Food" they can now be found under "Cupcakes" as well. I'm sure most of you won't object. I love making them. Also, maybe its strange, but I love photographing them as much as I love eating them. They're just so pretty. Anyway, today's post is, as promised, the cookies and cream recipe. I made these adorable little cupcakes for my Dad's birthday this past weekend. Anyone who knows my Dad knows that Oreos are his favorite cookie and I was thrilled when I found this recipe on a blog that I follow because it has a whole Oreo right inside, plus lots of the chocolatey cookie crushed up and mixed in it too. Here's what you'll need:

1 box yellow cake mix (+ ingredients needed for that mix)
1 package Oreo cookies
1 package mini-Oreos (optional)
4 & 1/2 sticks butter at room temperature
6 & 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
1 & 1/2 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla


I realize as I typed that up that everything I've ever said about being health conscientious went out the window. Oh well...all things in moderation! So first you will want to make your cupcakes. Make your cake mix as your particular box instructs and then put all of your oreos in a plastic bag and beat them with a rolling pin, or wooden spoon...do not (as I did) grab the closest thing to you (it happened to be scissors that I had used to cut the Oreo package open...it seemed like an okay idea until I nearly jabbed myself in the face because I got over-zealous!) This is a great recipe to make if you need to release some stress! So once your Oreos are crushed and you feel good, put half of them right into your batter.


Mix well. Until your batter looks like cookies and cream!


Just try not to lick the bowl when you're done with this batter! I couldn't resist. Once your batter is ready, grab your cupcake pan, fill it with your liners, and place one whole oreo in each one. Then spoon batter right on top of it. I know cupcake directions generally say to fill it 3/4 of the way full, but I filled theses babies right up to the top.


Put your cupcakes in the oven. Note that because of the Oreo in the bottom you may need to decrease your baking time. While they're in the over you can make your frosting. Now...you saw the ingredients. This recipe makes a lot of frosting. So make sure you have a large mixing bowl!


I'm sure you could half the recipe but I haven't actually tried. While I didn't need all of the frosting for 2 dozen cupcakes, but I did use more than half. It depends on how fluffy you want your cupcakes to be. This buttercream recipe is Martha Stewart's and it is awesome! I'm quite sure it will be my favorite buttercream from now on. Simply mix all 4 &1/2 sticks of butter (yes that's right!) and 1 and 1/2 cups of the confectioners sugar. Beat until pale and fluffy. Gradually add 5 and 1/4 cups of sugar (again, that's right!) and beat together. Add milk and vanilla and finally, add the rest of your crushed Oreos and mix well. I enlisted two happy little volunteers for help with cleanup.


 When your cupcakes are done baking, let them cool completely.


Now its time for my favorite part...dressing them up!


I use Wilson's pastry bags to pipe my icing on, however this time (because I didn't take my time and thorougly crush the Oreos) I had to cut the end off and forgo using a tip of any kind. I think they still look pretty great. The baby Oreo on top is the perfect finishing touch.


The best part? The secret Oreo in the middle. Now all you need to add is an ice-cold glass of milk.


1 comment:

  1. I am drooling over this trying to not go to the grocery store. I am going to have to try these out very soon!

    ReplyDelete