Wednesday, August 31, 2011

New Lens Love


I'd like to introduce you to my new (amazing) addition to my photo gear. In case I haven't mentioned it before, I shoot with a Nikon D3100 and for the past few months I have been using the kit lens. I was patiently waiting for the right time to add another lens that would be better suited for portrait photography when I found this little gem. It is a Nikon E Series 50 mm f/1.8. I could get technical and talk about aperture settings but instead I'll explain it this way: this lens allows a lot of light in and it allows me to create a lot of blur in the background. The new versions of the lens cost $150 and more. However, I did a lot of research and found that the older lenses (which still mount with Nikon's cameras) were not inferior. They simply don't interface digitally so I don't get a meter read and have to shoot entirely in manual mode. (Blah blah blah, right?) So "E Series" means that this little guy is older than I am, and therefore I got it for $25 on Ebay. Take a look at these photos!


After I took this shot of my sweet boy I knew that it was $25 well spent!


Sadie was my most willing model yesterday.


 A lot of times as the photographer I am stuck behind the lens, but I like to be in pictures too. That's what timers are for, so I took a few self portraits yesterday.






In the photo above, back-light becomes a gorgeous abstract backdrop!


My beautiful Savannah.


I am so happy with the image quality I am getting and I can't wait to see what moments I will capture with this little lens that I am just having so much fun getting to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment