Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thrift Store Props

 

Last month (when I was in lovely West Virginia) my cousin Elizabeth, my sister Meghan, and myself took a fun afternoon to go treasure hunting. For those who knows Elizabeth, she is extremely creative and artistic, and she has a knack for turning ordinary things into something amazingly cute! She and my Aunt know where all the great spots are for finding antiques and/or old stuff (it takes all kinds!) in Greenbrier County. When we went I was already dreaming up some photography ideas and i was looking for specific props: a chair with some personality, and an old suitcase. I was thrilled to find these!


As you can see, I didn't even clean them up for their first photo shoot. I actually kind of liked how the chair looked like it had been sitting in someone's barn for a while. I promise to clean it up before anyone's sits on it though. I love the details that are carved into the wood and even the seat has character. I got the chair for $10. (It was marked $15. Don't be afraid to haggle a little!) I tossed around the idea of painting it, but I think I'm going to stick with the black for now. It's more classic.


The suitcase I was kind of picky about. I wanted it to look old, but not old like junky-old. I also looked at several different colors. This one is nice and neutral and its a good size, plus it was just over $10. It would be great in senior portraits, and I have visions of portraits of newborns on the suitcase...in the suitcase... I have seen lots of great ideas on Pinterest! I can't wait to use these two props so look for them to make appearances in the near future. Oh, and speaking of taking pictures...I am photographing a birthday party this weekend so look for those photos in a blogpost soon. I am so excited.


I need to find a good treasure spot here in Knoxville. I know we have a lot of secondhand stores and antique shops, I'm just not sure where to begin. Right now I'm looking for a desk to give a makeover to. With all that I have going on I need a little bit of work-space as you can imagine! What about you? Ever find something just perfect for you at thrift store, flea market, or some such place? Do tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment