Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Refrigerator


I thought after yesterday's post that we needed something a little bit lighter. You'll either enjoy this post or think its the silliest thing ever. I used to subscribe to a magazine (Rachael Ray) that had a little feature called "What's Inside" where a celebrity stood by a picture of their refrigerator and broke down what was inside. I know its kind of silly but I always found it fascinating! Maybe there was a staple they kept that I should have known about. Maybe they were snacking on things that I didn't think about but should try. For whatever reason I loved to see what other people kept in their fridge! So today...though I'm no celebrity and perhaps this won't be nearly as interesting...I thought I would show you what's in my refrigerator. I just went to the grocery store last night. I usually shop for a two-week period which I find saves money. Though it is a large amount of money in one trip I have found that I spend less than I do when I make several small trips. So it is nice and full today. (Don't you love that? I do!) Okay, here goes:


What can I say about all of the cheese? I'm from Wisconsin! I try to keep lots of fresh fruit because my kids will eat it for snacks. Berry season is my favorite! I once met with a nutritionist and she pointed out that there is a lot of dairy in my diet (yogurt, cheese, milk...) so I do try to balance that with the fruit and veggies. I'm not a huge meat-eater, but I like to make hard-boiled eggs or a little egg with english muffin for breakfast sometimes for protein. I am a breakfast girl! I always have breakfast and coffee. Before I conclude this I am going to share a recipe that is a great one for using those berries! (Just in case you didn't find the refrigerator thing as interesting as I do.) It's my own variation of Pineapple Lush. Rather than a whole cake here is a quick and simple way to make Pineapple Lush Cups:

1 angel food cake cut in cubes
1 can crushed pineapple
1 tub whipped topping
1 box instant vanilla pudding
Berries of your choice

Mix the pineapple, whipped topping, and dry pudding mix until well blended. In small cups (punch cups are perfect!) layer cubed angel food cake, lush mixture, and berries parfait style. That's it! You're done. This is a perfect summer dessert because its so light and fluffy. 


So what do you keep in your refrigerator? Anything I should know about? Share your favorite snack or staple! I love reading your comments. 

2 comments:

  1. I always loved that in her magazine, and on her show when she did it too!
    I understand that you just went to the store...but my question would be, do you keep leftovers in there?...or 1/2 empty jars of salsa, pizza sauce etc?...
    I will say that my frig certainly doesn't look this neat!! : )
    Rhonda Blevins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Rhonda. I do keep leftovers (they are actually behind the things you see at the front.) And all of my half-empty condiment jars...in the door not pictured! :p

    ReplyDelete