Monday, August 8, 2011

The Look for Less


This post will be about one of my favorite things...shopping! I often hear people express that they don't shop because they don't have the money...clothes are so expensive...and while all of this may be true, I want to share some ways that I try to be a smart shopper and keep my wardrobe current without breaking the bank. Back when it was on, I used to love to watch the show "The Look for Less" with Elizabeth Hasselbeck. She went to various "normal" stores like mall shops or Target and put together cute outfits for a price that, in comparison to the designer look, was a steal! I would love to attempt that on my blog one of these days. Today, however, I am just going to share my tips on how to get a new look (not entire outfit) for a great price. First of all...you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a cute new look. Go to the mall with cash in hand. That way you won't be tempted to overspend or fall in love with something that you can't afford.  This past weekend was tax-free so Meg and I hit Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC and I took $30 cash.


You can shop for name brand clothes if you purpose to go in stores that regularly run sales, or have reasonable full-priced items such as H &M, Forever 21...and many more. Another way to get great deals is to sign up for rewards programs and text coupons at stores you know you will shop in. I love American Eagle and Aerie, however it is extremely rare for me to purchase something in these stores at full-prices. I signed up for their free all-access pass and I regularly receive coupons in the mail and I receive 20% off on my phone at least twice a month. Also...make yourself walk to the back of the store first. Clearance racks are full of the things you loved at the front of the store just weeks before. If I do love something that I see at the front I try to wait a few weeks...everything eventually goes on sale. Last, do not be afraid to shop special events. If you want to get a great deal, you might have to be willing to stand in line or deal with crowds. Black Friday and tax-free events may mean longer lines, but if someone paid you $10 to stand in line for 30 mins, would you do it?... Think of it that way.


With my $30 I was able to get two cute tops which can be used to create several looks, and I actually came in a couple of dollars under budget. First I purchased a tank top at Aerie that was originally $34.95. I liked it when I first saw it, but patience paid off.. I found it on clearance marked $12.99 and I used a 20% off text code to get it for $10.40 and of course there was no tax! Its long so it will look great with jeans or leggings. (I already had the tank to layer under it.)


Then at H&M I found a cardigan that was full price but only $17.95. This was actually something that I had been looking for to add to several outfits in the fall/winter. It is so important to buy pieces that are versatile and classic. The cardigan looks great over the tank that I purchased at Aerie so I will get a lot more wear out of that peice as I can now make it work for summer, spring, and fall! I can't wait to pair it with some cute accessories, skinny jeans, and my boots.  Altogether I spent $28.35 and was very pleased with my purchases. Aaahhh...retail therapy. Gotta love a good day of shopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment