Wednesday, February 15, 2012

DIY Camera Bag



Let me begin by saying that I am really excited about this post! That being said, I hope that my excitement does not keep me from explaining things well. I do not think I am the best at tutorials so I will be sure to include links to those that helped me with this project. A few week ago I started to search for a good camera bag. When I went to a session I tried to cram everything in my old bag which was designed for one camera, one lens, or I would throw it into a bag with props and try to be careful (not smart or very professional!) I was a little disappointed to discover that cute camera bags with the amount of room I needed are, like most things in this business, not cheap. Then a couple of friends sent me links to DIY camera bags. This is my perfect "for now" solution! The first thing I needed was a bag. I already had the perfect purse in my closet so, bonus, I didn't even have to buy a bag to start!


I chose this purse because it is big (roomier than it looks here), it has a long strap so it can be worn over the shoulder, and because the top closes completely - offering maximum protection for my camera.


I bought the following supplies:
Fabric (1/2 a yard)
1 inch foam (most tutorial recommended 3/4'' but I could not find it)
Velcro

Supplies I already had on hand (and you might too!):
Ribbon (for embellishment - not required)
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Heat 'n Bond (iron on adhesive)


 Most tutorials that I saw involved sewing. Alas, I do not sew. Not at all. So this "no-sew" version is my own invention and I think it worked pretty well! If you sew, this project would most likely be even more simple and the results would be even better. To start I cut the foam to the size of my bag. Measure...or just eyeball it if you think you can (I'm not much on measuring - please don't tell my Dad.) After cutting my foam for the main insert and the bottom insert I cut material to cover with excess on all ends. Then I used the Heat 'n Bond to created "hems" and to "sew" it together. (Instructions are right on the package if you have never used it.) It was like making a little pillowcase.


Once my foam was completely covered I was not pleased with how the ends looked. I realized that it would have been better to bond it on what would be the bottom of the insert. The ends are what you will see when you open the bag. So to cover the somewhat sloppy hem I simply hot glued some ruffled ribbon on! (Any wide ribbon would work but I love the ruffles.)


Just a little tip! If you decide to use ribbon, use a lighter to "seal" the edges so that they do not fray. Yes, just burn them...try not to set them on fire. Just a little bit of heat will do the job.


Now I have my main insert and my bottom insert complete. You can see them in the bag here.


To make the insert pieces for the side of the bag (something most tutorials did not include but I want my equipment protected on all sides!) and for the center dividers, I sliced my foam in half with a sharp knife! One inch was just too thick for these small pieces.


 Then I created all of my small pieces the same way that I did the large ones. Using my trusty hot glue gun, I added velcro strips to the sides of the inserts  and to the main insert so that the dividers can be moved to accommodate different sized equipment and so that they will stay put. I also added ribbon to the top of my side inserts so that everything would match. (I did not put it on the dividers.)


 Here is how it looks when it is all assembled outside of the bag.


 Here it is inside the bag! (It is easier to insert a piece at a time rather than altogether.)


Here is the bag with all of my equipment inside (I used my old film SLR for demonstration so that i could still use my camera. My camera fits perfectly in that center spot with my 50 mm lens attached.


Because this insert is not sewn into the purse itself I can still use the interior pocket for my business cards, lens cloths, memory cards, cell phone, keys, etc!


On a whim because I had spent so little on this project I also bought an inexpensive vinyl bag at Target to use for less formal occasions like going to the lake or the pool. I may take it to children's sessions too. As in days gone past, I may be the photographer saying "Look at the birdie!" Sometimes you need something fun to get the attention of little ones. It is such a bonus that with this insert I can swap bags!


I am so happy that I decided to attempt this! It has already proven to be one of the most useful DIY projects I have done and now my camera has a nice soft and safe place to rest. And although I still want to invest in a professional designer camera bag in the future, for now I would just like to say, Kelly Moore and Cheeky Lime, eat your heart out.


Follow these links for other DIY camera bag tutorials:

No comments:

Post a Comment