Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Neapolitan Parfaits


As promised I am going to share the recipe for the parfaits I recently made. However, I'm not sure you call it a recipe when there aren't exact measurements or strict instructions. The fun thing about parfaits is that you can really do whatever you want - just layer your favorite ingredients! This combination is killer though. I got the idea from a black forest trifle (which is chocolate and cherries.) I decided to use strawberries, which my family prefers, and I made individual portions so that I could share them with my co-workers. I am calling these Neapolitan Parfaits since they are chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.


I used brownie bites from the bakery section at the grocery store so that I wouldn't have to make a pan of brownies. I like to keep it simple. It could obviously be done either way. Using kitchen scissors, I cut the brownies into even small pieces and this served as the first layer. For the second layer I combined a large box of vanilla pudding made according to directions with a large tub of cool whip. (Leave a little bit of the cool whip un-mixed to top your parfaits.) After the pudding layer, I added a large spoonful of frozen sweetened strawberries (which were thawed of course.) Then I repeated all three layers once more! I topped them with a dollop of cool whip and mini chocolate chips.



As you can see I look super glamorous when I work in the kitchen...lol. I had to post this picture to show off the apron that my Mom got me for Christmas. I love it.  To finish my parfaits, just for Valentines, I also made each parfait a heart out of pink candy melts (find these at a craft store or in a good baking section.) If you cant find the pink melts you could always use white almond bark and add just a tiny drop of food coloring to make it pink - or any color you choose!


I melted the candy, put it in a pastry bag and piped hearts out on to a plate. After freezing for just a few minutes they are hardened and can easily be removed from the plate. (Don't try to do this immediately after taking them out of the freezer or they will break. Wait just a couple of minutes.)


Once it all comes together they look so good, and of course, taste great too. I enjoy desserts like this that aren't so extremely rich. Pudding is definitely under-rated! Be creative and try new ingredients! Please comment and let me know if you come up with a your own delicious combination.


2 comments:

  1. These look so good! And those little pink hearts...so adorable. I love this!

    tallkendall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete