Friday, September 9, 2011

Simple Change with Chalk


Yesterday I did a very simple project in my kitchen and although it was just a very little change, I am loving the results. Chalkboards are a big trend right now so this isn't a novel idea, but I didn't have one yet, so I wanted to give it a try. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a couple of small photo frames. You could spend as much or as little on these as you want! They are almost always 50% off at Hobby Lobby (as is almost everything) and I love that store! I was planning to buy chalkboard paint and paint the glass panel in the frames when I stumbled upon VINYL chalkboard! It was the same price as the paint and I though...hmm, this seems like it would be too easy...I wonder if it works well? In the end, a project that required less mess and less patience won me over! I am so glad I tried it because it is amazing. So here is what you need to make these adorable little chalkboards (or a great big one which I'm already about trying...): Frames of your choice, scissors, vinyl chalkboard surface, and chalk.


The vinyl chalkboard is like contact paper. I simply laid my glass from the frame directly on the paper and trimmed it to size.


Then I smoothed the self adhesive vinyl on to the glass and placed it back in the frame! As you can see, it bubbled a little bit at first. It is easy to re-position though so I just worked with it until it was smooth. To give it a well-worn look I used a piece of chalk and colored the board in and then wiped it off with a paper towel.


Decide what you want your chalkboard to say...I'm sure I will change mine up which is what I really love about these. They can be both functional and decorative. 


I'm already thinking of seasonal things to write on them and Landon keeps asking me for a blue star...I'm not sure why but I'm sure it can be arranged.


So here was my kitchen before. I've had these little buckets hanging in my kitchen for as long as I can remember so I was just kind of bored with them.


And here it is after my very simple project. I decided to hang the buckets back up after all, and I like the way it all turned out. I moved my little lamp from another area of the counter to illuminate my chalkboards. Its just a little change but it really adds a lot. 


So vinyl chalkboard is definitely one of my new favorite finds. If only it would fit in my craft box...


I am glad I was able to complete this project because I have one of my best friends from college coming to visit this weekend so I'm sprucing things up. I also have another birthday party to photograph on Saturday (it is her first birthday!) and tonight I'm going to the Tennessee Valley Fair with my mom and the kids. Look for lots of fun blogposts after this crazy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment