Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorials

Happy Memorial Day! I wanted to take a moment to post in honor of those who have fought and died while serving in our military. It is all to easy to take freedom and our American way of life for granted but today we should pause to remember the sacrifices that have brought us here. I want to say thank you to any reading this who may currently be serving in our armed forces and to those who have loved ones who are doing so. Actually...thank you doesn't even seem strong enough. I feel deep gratitude. I also want to give tribute to three men in my own life who served in the military. 


On the left is my Dad, Tim Totten, who served for four years in the United States Air Force. I have always been so proud of his service and I love to hear him talk about the things he did and places he saw! In the center is my Grandpa, Bob Totten, who served in the army and fought in World War II. My Grandpa passed away with cancer in 2004 and he is greatly missed. On the right you see my Papaw, Charles Taylor who was also in the army. He fought in the Korean War when he was only 19 years old. I am so grateful for their service and for the service of so many others who make have helped to make America great! 

Here are a couple of treasures of mine passed down from my Dad and my Grandpa... 


One of my Dad's uniform shirts.


A medal that my Grandpa received for operating a machine gun during WWII.


No comments:

Post a Comment