Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One man's trash...

You've heard the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure." It is often true when we use our imagination to be just a little bit creative. Recently my cousin, Elizabeth, started a small business venture, La-Tee-Da, making jewelry using antique buttons and old skeleton keys. The jewelry is so pretty and totally unique. She is not mass producing these, but rather spends time hand-making each one using different materials, accents, and antiques. Last weekend I was really excited to get my key necklace in the mail. It is particularly special to me because the key actually belonged to my Papaw Taylor!


I look at it and wonder what it may have opened for him. Was it the key to a trunk where he kept special things...or did it open a door and if so, what did that door lead him to? What memories are associated with these keys for those who owned them? Questions come to my mind when I see the buttons on the bracelets too. They are so beautiful and intricate...were they on a fancy blouse that a young girl wore the night she got engaged? Or perhaps they lined the coat of a sweet elderly lady as she took an autumn walk with her grandchildren... As Elizabeth says about the jewelry, we will never really know the story but "that's the beauty of it." I am posting a link for La-Tee-Da. Please feel free to check out her page and contact her if you are interested in owning a piece of this "trash" turned into a very unique treasure. Link: La-Tee-Da by Elizabeth

1 comment: